Monday 13 October 2014

Wet, tired, cold - but still happy! Ish....

It's days like today when I absolutely and completely love my job.

The morning did not start well.... Hubby and I were awoken at 4am by a very loud dripping sound (it was raining incredibly heavily outside) and initially thought it was coming on to the window ledge - before we realised the noise was it actually hitting the, already wet, duvet on our bed. We were suddenly wide awake, running to get buckets and towels. Couldn't really call the landlord at 4am! So we made the best of it and I made the bed up in the spare room (as yet unmade, no visitors to stay so far since we moved in July) whilst hubby went into the loft to see if our stuff up there was soaking wet. All ok from initial investigations (further investigations this morning proved it, we just need to do some rearranging up there tonight and we'll put a bucket up there too) so we bedded down in the spare room, where for some reason the rain sounded louder than it had from our room.

Hubby took today off work at short notice (far more difficult for me to do that now since I've moved from the corporate work to education) and called the landlord at 9am. He was round within the hour but we're not sure when it's going to get fixed as roofers won't come out in the rain. Who knew?!

To add to this, my office is in a separate building to the main school and I get in this morning to find there is no heating. At all. In October. In Blightly. Brrrrrrrrrrr. So. I was rudely awoken at 4am and didn't really get back to sleep again, I was up at 6am to come to work and sit in a freezing cold office. I am grumpy. BUT. I am in an office by myself, if I flick to Twitter or FB every now and again to keep me awake so what? As long as I make darned sure I do what has to be done today and I do what I need to do this week I have every intention of leaving today as early as isn't rude. Would that have happened in my old job?! Hell no.

I am trusted to just get on with my job, I'm not checked up on. I'm not asked every few hours what I'm working on or what I have coming up. For someone like me, who works best independently when trusted to do so as I often take small breaks to ensure my concentration stays put, this is a dream. Having said all that, with the job I do it would be blindingly obvious pretty quickly if I wasn't doing something I should be or if something goes wrong! But I know that as long as I have tried my best, and it isn't a spectacular cock up, they'll understand a genuine mistake. Not that I really want to test that theory! But still, it's good to know.

So, I sit here in a freeeezing cold office with not much sleep and yes - I'm grumpy. But only tired-grumpy, not angry-at-the-world grumpy. And soon I will be going home, where it's warm and a good hug awaits me. As well as gin. There are far worse places to be in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment